Latino Kids Health (LK Health) is a community-based 501(c)(3), Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). LK Health is located in Montebello and services patients throughout East Los Angeles, Metro Los Angeles, and the San Gabriel Valley.
LK Health provides quality and affordable health care to underserved and uninsured Latino populations and the general public in Los Angeles County. LK Health delivers quality patient-focused health care through qualified practitioners who are culturally and linguistically competent and can address the health concerns of patients in an efficient and effective manner. LK Health is recognized as a Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) by the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
LK Health has a state of the art facility with 8 examination rooms, including a minor surgery/procedure room, behavioral health room, 3 dental operatories, large lobby and laboratory (dental and medical), Covered California/Medi-Cal enrollment, health education and nutrition services. Annually, the health center provides 12,000 medical visits, representing 3,400 patients.
LK Health is a safety-net provider in Los Angeles County. No one is denied services for their inability to pay. LK Health aims to eliminate health disparities through access to primary care, the promotion of health education and disease prevention. LK Health’s service area includes Primary Care Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) and encompasses census tracts designated as Medically Underserved Areas (MUAs) and Medically Underserved Populations (MUPs). HPSAs and MUA/Ps are based on the evaluation criteria established through federal regulation to identify geographic areas or population groups with a shortage of healthcare providers.
LK Health is governed by a Board of Directors (Board) that consists of local leaders and patients of the health center who live and work in the community and is representative of the communities served by the health center. The Board maintains a clear line of authority through the Chief Executive Officer to the management team. Current board members are:
Interim Chief Executive Officer
Ruben Ruiz, M.D.
Chief Medical Officer
Linda Young Koklas
Chief Operating Officer
Chief Financial Officer
- Martha Mullen, Chairwoman
- Yolanda Flores-Moreno, Treasurer
- Monica Jara, Secretary
- Camilo Echavarria, Board Member
- Michael Duran, Board Member
- Gabriela Ramos, Board Member
- Samuel Robles, Board Member
- Ethelred Carter, M.D., Board Member
- Farris “Frank” Shalby, Board Member
- Gina Zapanta-Murphy, Board Member
- Esmeralda Garcia, Board Member
LK Health provides high-quality and accessible preventative and primary healthcare services (medical, dental and behavioral health) to children, adolescents, and adults, including well-child checkups, well-women exams, immunizations, physical examinations, screenings for cancer and communicable diseases, family planning, obesity prevention, health education, nutrition services, case management and management and treatment of chronic diseases such as hypertension, asthma and diabetes.
LK Health offers comprehensive and integrated clinical behavioral health services for children, teens, and adults, including integrative behavioral therapy, short-term therapy around specific life stressors or specific psychological symptoms, case management, group therapy, and behavioral health specialty services referrals.
Also, LK Health provides preventive, restorative, and emergency dental services. Which includes, dental cleanings, extractions, crowns, dentures, root canals, etc.
LK Health accepts most forms of insurance, Medi-cal, Medicare, private insurance, cash and participates in:
- Family PACT – care for women and men that are or will become sexually active
- Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP) – provides a wide range of culturally competent services to Medi-Cal pregnant women, from conception through 60 days postpartum. In addition to standard obstetric services, women receive enhanced services in the areas of nutrition, psychosocial and health education
- Childhood Health & Disability Prevention (CHDP) for children ages 0-19 that need physicals and immunizations.
- Vaccines For Children (VFC) – program to ensure children receive immunizations
- Cancer Detection Program (CDP)/Every Woman Counts – for women 40 years and older to have pap smears and mammograms
- Referrals to Women, Infants and Children (WIC) nutrition program
LK Health receives HHS funding and has federal Public Health Service deemed status with respect to certain health or health related claims, including medical malpractice claims, for itself and its covered individuals. For more information visit: http://www.bphc.hrsa.gov/ftca/